8.20.2009

Japanese night



I love sushi. Can I just tell you? I think sushi is one of the most delectable foods I have ever eaten. There is such a wonderful combination of taste and texture that I just delight to experience.

Last night was a pleasant evening spent with friends. After work, I went to the Mt. Timpanogos temple to do baptisms for the dead, as I do on most Wednesdays. Usually, they whip me in and out of there in under an hour. But last night, I got stuck behind two youth groups...so it took much longer than usual. Alas! So I was late to sushi night, but that's okay.

We gathered at Sushi Ya's, which is on south State Street in Orem right next to the bowling alley. It's our all-around favorite sushi place. My new favorite of the evening was the "hybrid roll". Don't ask me what was in it, I don't remember. But it was delicious!

It's funny, because a couple of my friends kept rushing through the orders, trying to get the next round ordered quickly. I can't quite blame them, they've been practically fasting for three days, so they were hungry! However, it's not really my style. Going out to dinner, especially somewhere more fancy than usual, I just like to relax, eat slowly, and enjoy the company. A good meal, particular something outside the usual, should be savored.


Anyhow, then we retired to Jameson's brother's house to watch Kenshin. Now, I hope that you realize, dear reader, that I have a great deal of innate nerdiness. Sometimes I try to disguise it--sometimes I don't. This is just one of these things that I can't help but enjoy. "Rurouni Kenshin" is a Japanese anime about a wandering samurai in 19th century Japan. The hero, Kenshin, was an assassin during a revolution ten years prior, but has since given up murder and resolved to lead a peaceful life. The very best episodes of the series (in my opinion) are the episodes that show Kenshin on the verge of breaking and reverting to his old self. He hovers on that brink in a couple of key episodes, and they're easily the best fight scenes.

At least I own up to my nerdiness, guys. And as I'm currently writing a martial arts novel, I view it as research and inspiration. ;)

2 Additional Hiccups:

grburbank said...

I have never had sushi outside of California rolls and their ilk--which I do enjoy very much. I'm just a little bit squeamish about raw fish especially in landlocked Utah. But perhaps when I'm in Seattle...

I am also a nerd (perhaps of a different color) which is one of the reasons we are friends, and I also enjoy some anime now and again, as long as it's good. Perhaps I shall have to check out Rurouni Kenshin sometime. Sounds like you had a fun evening.

Bri said...

Sushi is the best! And so is Ruroni Kenshin - I used to watch that show on the Cartoon Network late-night line up, and I really enjoyed it. Don't believe the anime-haters out there - there are some awesome series (I really like Gundam Wing). So I was thinking of enrolling in a martial arts class of some kind - is there a school/dojo down here that you would recommend?