6.15.2008

Scarves

My brother wants a scarf.

This is the brother who is on an LDS mission in Virginia. He asked me to make him a scarf before he left, which I never got around to doing. Besides, as I told him, by the time he got out in the field--April--he wouldn't need a scarf, he'd need a squirt-gun-fan to keep himself cool. So the scarf went unmade.

Well, he still wants a scarf. It all began, I believe, at Christmas. I made all three of my sisters and their mother scarves for their holiday gift--each different color(s) and different brands/feels of yarn. I am quite accomplished at the hat loom, which is the easiest way to make hats and scarves in the entire world. Although, I must admit, the Christmas scarves took me a lot longer than I intended, so they were late, and by the time they were done, I could barely move my fingers they were so sore.

Anyway.

This inspired my brother into wanting a scarf. So the other day, my mom and I were out running errands, and she decided we should run to JoAnn's to get some yarn--so that I could make my brother his scarf. I humored it, and into the yarn section we went, to look at the products on sale (which we didn't pick), and found some soft, thin black yarn. We bought three rolls, which I'm still not sure will be enough, because I'll have to double string in order to have any kind of thickness.

Today I've been packing for my upcoming jaunt to Pennsylvania. The yarn has been sitting on my desk for two weeks, waiting for me to feel inspired to start working on my brother's scarf. And as I'm sitting here packing, I have been seriously debating whether to take the yarn, loom, etc to Pennsylvania with me.

My mother would argue that I should work on it when I have time, because I don't know what will happen when I get home, whether it will ever get done.

But the sane part of me says this: IF I have time to work on it (which is seriously doubtful) do I really want to spend that precious spare time knitting a scarf? I can think of a zillion better things I could use my time for while I'm out there.

And so the debate continues. I wouldn't be surprised if the yarn ends up coming with me, just so I don't feel guilt about leaving it behind.

Oh yes. Guilty. This is the absurdity of the situation, but which I can't help but laugh at!

0 Additional Hiccups: