6.09.2008

Playing around

On Sunday I drove up to Kearns to celebrate my birthfather's 39th birthday. I almost got him an "over the hill" card, but decided it would, after all, be premature.

We had a lovely dinner where I watched my sister Sam eat some casserole with her sour cream--I wish I had a metabolism like hers! I drank far too much Dr. Pepper, but when it's available, that's what I do. Oh, and there was really good cantaloupe. It's not my favorite fruit, because sometimes I like it and sometimes I really don't. But that day, I really did, and ate it in good measure.

After dinner we all sat down for some games. I love playing games--board games, card games, whatever, but this is seriously one of my favorite relaxation activities. My family doesn't really play that often--it's hard to find games that can be played with only four people, and that all four of us--diverse people that we are--can enjoy together.

Not a problem with my other family. First we sat down to play the Totally Insane Card Game, a Utah-Mormon invention, I believe. It's absolute insanity--as the title suggests. There's 200 cards or so, and most of them are different. Some are useless, some are annoying, most are amusing, some downright hilarious. If you like games that make sense, this is not the game for you. Otherwise, you have to try it!

Next we played Pit, which is a game imitating the stock exchange--you switch commodities with the other players, trying to corner the market. It gets very loud and crazy--although, we did try a couple rounds of silent bidding. You had to hold up fingers to show how many cards you wanted to trade. That was interesting too. Anyway, good times!

Also, I have discovered a love for the movie "Meet the Robinsons", an animated feature that came out last year. On the surface, it's a cute movie about a kid who moves forward with his life, and becomes a cool inventor. It's got deeper levels, though, and some really strong science fiction themes. It plays with time, and each time I'm discovering something new, and I constantly enjoyed the speculative relationship between Lewis and Wilbur. Highly enjoyable, I recommend it to all.

0 Additional Hiccups: