7.15.2008

Blogosphere

I feel like I'm part of the wrong generation, as far as blogging is concerned. And as weird and unnatural as it may sound to say, I feel that I'm too young for my preferred blogosphere.

Most of the people my age that I connect with via blog are still using blogs as either a space to rant, or as a literary commons, or some mixture of both. Nothing wrong with this, of course.

However, many of the moms I connect with via blog are using their blogs as something much more interesting--a regular, sometimes daily, dialogue about their lives. This is not a journal by any means, but a specific, often satirical commentary on what goes down around them. And often it's not just specific events, its these women's opinions and thoughts on the world around them.

It's fascinating! It's what I try to use this blog for, rather than a diatribe about my personal life. A social commentary, written from a single viewpoint, acknowledging that not everyone will agree, not trying to really sway anybody, just out there for anybody who's interested.

What's more (and something I wish I had a bit more of) families are using blogs to keep up with each other. My son's adoptive mother keeps a separate blog just about him, that has limited access for people she knows, so she can protect him. But this is an easy, fast way to keep family updated about what's happening in his world! We can see pictures and videos and read stories, without her needing to write a dozen emails every day.

My cousin Hollie uses her blog in a similar fashion, keeping friends and family updated on her daughter Elaina, who's still in the hospital after her third open heart surgery. She doesn't have time to call thirty people every day with updates, but a blog satisfies almost everybody.

And then there's just the housewife's blog, the woman who writes about people she met that day, or things she read, or thoughts she had. This is the truly fascinating blog, the one written by ordinary, everyday people, who can turn their ordinary, everyday lives into something entertaining and thought-provoking for other people.

I wish I had a blog community. I don't fit into the "Mom" circle, because I don't have kids to blog about, and unfortunately that is a major component of those "housewife" blogs. And my own circle of blog-friends are not "regulars"--they don't hunt around and read each other's blogs every other day, they're only on when there's something significant happening in their own world. (Not that it's bad, guys! Just a different style!) And so I'm left without a major reader-base, and I'll admit that I feel somewhat neglected.

The time will come, perhaps (and perhaps it will wait until after the babies come) that I can find a better place in the blogosphere. Can't wait.

0 Additional Hiccups: