7.07.2008

Fireworks

You know, I can't remember the Fourth of July very well? It's just not a holiday that stands out very well in my mind. Last year, of course, I was a lamesauce loser and didn't really celebrate the Fourth. I remember thinking how lame I was at the time, that I should be out watching fireworks or something, which indicates to me that I usually do watch the fireworks, but my memory being what it is, I can't really say. Last year, I watched "The Queen" the night of the Fourth, which was incredibly ironic to me--celebrating our nation's independence by watching a film about Britain's monarch. Lamesauce, but in an entertaining way.

That being said, this year I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. Friday afternoon we had an Interdepartmental concert--a recital that consists of student work from across our program. Music, dance, theatre and creative writing, and occasionally some video projection from the visual arts students. That was fun. I had most of the afternoon off; I did some shopping, bought Vantage Point (good flick). That evening, we played Guitar Hero in the shop for awhile, testing out our new outdoor movie screen. I actually didn't die, which was progress. Then the whole crew climbed up to the roof of the theatre to watch fireworks.

This was no ordinary fireworks-viewing. The city of Erie sits literally on the banks of Lake Erie, and slops upward from there. As such, the theatre (being probably the tallest building on campus) sitting on a hill overlooking the bay, had a clear view of the multiple fireworks displays up and down the waterfront. We had a 180 degree view, with fireworks going off in every direction. It was the sweetest thing EVER. I wish I could've taken a picture, but you'd seriously need a powerful panoramic shot to really capture the experience. It was so cool.

Then it was back to work pulling off the pit cover--an adventure in and of itself. But it was still fun, all of us there together just gettin' it done. Then it was home to watch House. Yeah, I have become re-obsessed. :D

0 Additional Hiccups: