7.04.2008

strange new grief

I can't even express how agonizing it is to be away from my family right now. My 'niece' Elaina is suffering, and the doctors are reaching the limits of what they can do for her. Her mother is trying to deal with the decisions she will soon be faced--whether or not to take her daughter off the ventilator, whether to stop the suffering. I'm glad that Hollie's parents are there with her, but I wish more than anything that I was there with her too. I feel so helpless. I can't express in words what I want to tell her, not over the phone or over email or blog. I want to hold her, I want to see Elaina, I want to be there with them. I've never felt anything like this before, and I don't know how to deal with it. I've never been incapable of supporting someone before. I've never been devoid of my own comfort when I needed it. This is why families are drawn together at times like this--they need the physical, nonverbal support of one another's presence. Right now, I can't offer or receive any of it.

I'm scared. I'm scared for Elaina, I'm scared for Hollie, and I'm scared for everybody that cares about them both. That includes me.

I wish I was there.

2 Additional Hiccups:

Hollie said...

Oh Val,
I wish you were here too, but just hearing your voice on the phone last night gave me such strength. Know that you are one of my hero's, and even though you are not able to be here with me physically, I can feel your love and support across the miles. It's unspoken but it's there and it's real.
I miss you, I love, you are an amazing support to me. Whatever the outcome of this trial may be, know that the love you have to shown to Elaina has meant the world to her and to me.
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hollie xoxoxoxo

L. Webb said...

Val,

I love you very much and I can't imagine more love from anyone else but the love you have given to your family and how I wish I could have an ounce of your humility and kindness. You will be alright and Heavenly Father is watching over you and your family. Suffering is but a small moment in time.

Love,
Laura