4.03.2009

Paperback splurge!

I love the bookstore. I think we've discussed this. At any rate, it was Friday night, I had nothing to do and nobody to do it with, so I wound up at B&N for a little time in the SF&F section looking for something new.

After visiting the EMP/Science Fiction Museum in Seattle, I have realized that I need to read a LOT more science fiction. I think this prompted this evening's purchases.

First, I picked up "I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov. I have a confession. Despite my profound love of science fiction, I've never read anything by Asimov. I know, I know, this is profane sacrilege of the worst sort. Soon to be mended! Unfortunately, the only copy B&N had available was a movie-cover--it has a lovely picture of Will Smith on the front. Gag. Not that I mind Will Smith, but I generally don't like books that are superimposed with film version covers. Lame. But I'm sucking it up--I'm a creature of immediacy, and I wanted this book NOW. So I'm stuck with Will.

The second book I picked up was "Sunshine" by Robin McKinley. Favorite author, but not a book I've read before. But I read the first two pages and was hooked, so I went ahead with the purchase. McKinley's books that I have read are among my top favorites, so I figured I was relatively safe here. We'll see how it goes.

And thirdly I picked up "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon. I've only recently begun to read Ms. Moon (on the recommendation of my former Captain) but have been pleasantly enjoying her books thus far. This book in particular intrigues me--it is a science fiction novel surrounding autism. I am very eager to read it.

On the whole, I am rather pleased with how it turned out. I do love books, and I'm excited to get into some new works and authors. I would encourage you to do the same!

1 Additional Hiccups:

grburbank said...

Ha ha, I love to spend money on books too. I've been meaning to read The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin which is supposedly a landmark in intellectual/literary science fiction. I suggest you look into it eventually--clearly you have quite a lot to read for the immediate future.

Movie covers are lame, but sometimes a necessary evil. And kudos for exploring new authors/books. Also, you must always read Neil Gaiman--anyway, anyhow.