5.27.2008

The Injustice of it all!!!

There are thirty pages missing from my new book.

I bought The Well of Ascension on Friday. It's the sequel to Mistborn: The Final Empire, both by Brandon Sanderson. Fantastic series, by the way. I spent twenty dollars of my hard-earned graduation money on a pristine hardcover edition. I've been reading it avidly. So I'm in bed, it's 11:00 at night, I'm nearing the end of this huge battle where many of my favorite characters are being hewn down and suddenly, the words aren't making sense--how did that character make a six-day journey to suddenly be in the middle of a nonsensical conversation that has nothing to do with what was just happening? And then, I look down at the page numbers. (By the way, I'm not a huge fan of numbering at the bottom of the page.) I'm missing thirty pages in the middle of the climax! I'm aghast--I flipped back and forth, trying to discover if they had been misplaced, but no! The signature was repeated twice, meaning the thirty pages were replaced by the following signature, then repeated in its proper position. There couldn't have been a worse thirty pages to miss. Of course I read on, but the climax of the book was absolutely ruined. All the leading action, the tension, lost, and now I can't even recreate it, because I already know how it ends. Sort of. I'm so angry.

I'll probably go to B&N at some point, see if they have an unadulterated copy, see if I can make an exchange for my defective book. I don't know what their policy is. At any rate, if I can find a clean copy, at least I can read what I missed. So. Incredibly. Frustrating.

1 Additional Hiccups:

Hollie said...

No Fair!!! I had a similar thing happen to me once. I was given a used book by a friend only to get to the end and have the last 3 pages missing. Completely torn out of the book. I of course called her and demanded to have the end of the story, but she couldn't remember the end and just said "oh yeah, I forgot that those pages had gotten torn out. It was a good ending though..." I think I just screamed in frustration and refused to even try to find another copy of the book. It's still floating around here somewhere. Someday I will loan it to someone else, preferably someone that I don't like very much at the moment! lol!! :)