2.09.2009

Evening's entertainment

Last night I watched my very first episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series with my father. I can't tell you how amusing it was. We didn't watch the episodes in any particular order, so I couldn't even begin to tell you where they fell in the series. And that may have been an injust cause of my amusement. In every episode, the costumes changed rather drastically (though they were universally cheap and so sixties--I can see where Mrs. O got her lemongrass color!) and so did Spock's eyebrows! There was one episode in particular where he was wearing that lemon-lime shade that almost perfectly matched the sallow color of his face, and his eyebrows were pointing almost straight up into his hair. Precious!

For the most part I enjoyed the episodes we watched, though most of them reminded me strongly of The Twilight Zone. I watched in all seriousness except for a few moments that I simply couldn't contain my giggling--usually involving some particularly atrocious special effects, though frequently over the melodramatic acting.

All in all, a worthwhile evening's entertainment.

2 Additional Hiccups:

grburbank said...

You know, I've never seen the original series. As a young child Star Trek terrified me--it made me think of space and eternity which led to several existential crises. Once I overcame that, I did enjoy TNG and Voyager and some of the movies. Anyway, it sounds like it was fun!

Bri said...

My mom and I used to watch Next Generation together every week, but I was never able to take the original series even remotely seriously. I appreciate it for breaking into a "new frontier" in TV. It starred a Japanese man, an African-American woman (who was not a maid or anything), a Russian (during the Cold War), and really set the bar for future sci-fi shows. In spite of that, I always crack up when William Shatner says anything. "There's GOT to be a WAY!"

P.S. What is the name of that software that you used to write your novel?