9.01.2009

Today I feel ancient...and kind of morose about it.

One week from today, I will turn 23 years of age.

I'm sorry to ye elder readers, but 23 feels old. It's a sign of my culture, but many of the women I know who are my age, are married. With children. That's what you get living in Utah County, I suppose, but it still makes me feel somewhat old-maidish.

On the one hand, it's nice to feel like an adult, regardless of my single state. I'm just a "twenty-something," as dear Gregorio would say. Being 23 and single has limitless possibilities (if I were interested in pursuing them).

On the other hand, I don't much care for adult concerns. Insurance, career choices, responsibilities that I still do not feel prepared to deal with. The pains of old age, my friends.

I'm not sure yet what I'll be doing for my birthday. I have the misfortune to share my birthday with Labor Day weekend most years, so people usually have plans that do not coincide with celebrating with me. And other things have come up--other parties, funerals, work--so I don't know when or if I'll actually be having a party. Yet another symptom of old age--when your birthday just doesn't matter anymore! =)

3 Additional Hiccups:

Kathryn said...

It matters to me!!!! I love you old woman.

grburbank said...

I was actually more okay with turning twenty-three than I was turning twenty-two. My (actual) birthday was pretty lame, and I was okay with that--which is lame. I did have a fun party, and I hope you do too. And at least on Friday you'll get to see most of our college friends.

We do need to get you out of Utah County where you have a skewed sample and therefore feel old-maidish. Because you are indeed just a twenty-something. :) Also, out of our friends, I think in many ways you're the most grown-up. You're living on your own, you have a car loan, you almost bought a house!

Anyway, I love you and Happy Early Birthday! Welcome to just more of the real world, it sucks, you're gonna love it!

Unknown said...

Hi long lost friend! We don't really have any plans for this weekend. James and I would LOVE to party with you if you want to hang out with boring people like us!

I did also post something on my blog for you. Hope you don't mind I borrowed your story. Maybe you'll get a good laugh! Anyway.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!