9.17.2009

Liberal Arts Background Statement

From the MSW application:

LIBERAL ARTS BACKGROUND STATEMENT
Please submit a liberal arts background statement, between two to three double-spaced typewritten pages thatdescribes the liberal arts coursework completed in undergraduate and graduate study and how these coursesprovided the following: 1) An appreciation of how culture is expressed in literature, humanities, writing, languages, history, philosophy, mathematics and science; 2) An understanding of the diversity of individuals andcultures including the bio-psychosocial forces that influence human growth and development; 3) A commitment to enhance human rights and social justice; 4) an understanding of the diversity and interrelatedness of local, state, national,and global social problems; and 5) an understanding and appreciation of the importance of scientific inquiry and critical hinking.


What is it about this that intimidates me so? [this explains what they want you to address in the statement--at length.] Besides deciding on one more reference person, this is the last thing I have to do for my grad school application. I still have time...but I could be telling myself that right up until the deadline. I need to get this taken care of, but I keep putting it off.

In all seriousness, if you have some advice on how to address this, please tell me. I'm really struggling with this one.

5 Additional Hiccups:

grburbank said...

Oh, that looks fun. In reality, I would think that the answers to these questions have been stewing in the back of your mind since starting college. So talk it through with your friends, parents, anyone who will listen. And just start outlining answers to each specific question. Then you'll probably have to write a couple of drafts to incorporate and organize all your ideas together. I'd be happy to read one. It's a lot of work, but I know you can do it. And even if you wait till the last minute, you're a good enough writer that you could probably wing it and still do just fine.

Good luck!

Dana said...

Hey, I know where you're applying! So I found your blog as I searched the internet for some kind of help on how in the world to write this statement. Any luck yet? Hopefully we'll get to meet each other at orientation next year - hope for the best, right? :)

Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackson said...

Hey! I just applied for the MSW at the same school as well. That Liberal Arts Statement was a challenge. I really hope I gave them what they were looking for.

Anyways, we should stay in touch and let each other know about any news such as acceptance, etc.

It might be nice to be in communication with others who are have applied to the same program.

idleBrain said...

Hi,

This might sound a strange but I badly and urgently need some help :)

I am Computer Science PhD student at School of Computing, University of Utah. A friend of mine is applying to the same program (as you) and needs to write the Liberal Arts statement.

Can you help us by any chance?

Kindly reply :)

Thanks!!