1.04.2008

Mortality

My sister Danielle went into cardiac arrest about 8:00 this morning, during a swim class at the rec center. She's 17. She's had heart problems her whole life, including surgeries and a shortened life expectancy. But nobody could have expected this.

As of six this evening, she had been relatively stabilized--she had finally started breathing on her own; they established that the valve to her heart was fine (a valve that has been replaced before), and they were waiting on MRI results to determine if there were more blood clots than the one they already know about. She's hopped up on sedatives and blood thinner.

It's surreal, that's all. I don't want to think about it, but every time I stop distracting myself, I can't help it. My birthfather tried to assure me that she would be fine, but he sounded like he was trying to convince himself, too.

I guess all we can do is wait.

0 Additional Hiccups: