1.20.2008

Sushi night!


Saturday was Asian night. We started out with a trip to Asuka Japanese Sushi & Steakhouse, in Provo. Nice place--not too loud, not too quiet, pretty authentic. The best part of the place--physically--in my opinion, was the booth. There are mostly regular tables, but along one side, there are booths that appear to be traditional: they are raised off the floor, wooden floored (you take off your shoes), and they look like you should kneel at the table, as you would in Japan. In fact, the table is sunk into the floor, so you are actually sitting normally, but the feeling is still cool.
Ashley is picky about her food, so she ordered salmon teriyaki. But Sam, Kip and I each ordered all-you-can-eat sushi--it's not on the menu, you just have to know. :) But seriously--all you can eat, for 15 bucks. I swear to you, we each must have eaten $50 worth of sushi! An absolute steal.

Now, I lost my "sushi virginity" last fall. I had sushi for the first time at Ninja, the new sushi place that opened in Cedar City. The first time I went I had a California roll, the second time a Philadelphia roll. I enjoyed both, of course, but I wasn't really very satisfied by the experience--it nearly broke my poor college student's bank just to get a single plate of sushi at Ninja! And I felt so limited--I wanted to try everything. So at last, I finally had my chance.

I think we shared about ten different kinds of sushi. Salmon, tuna, yellowtail, crab, I even tried eel for the first time (and liked it!). That one had caviar on top, which I didn't realize until Kip explained its identity. My favorites were the Vegas roll and the Ernie roll (both very Japanese-sounding, right?) and though I can't quite recall what was in either of them, I know they had a mixture of meats, were deep fried with cheese on top. Not traditional, but mmm-mmm good.

I also learned that I'm not nearly as proficient with chopsticks as I once assumed. :-/

Asian night continued with the Yoshida Brothers, and a good game of Munchkin Fu. For those of you familiar with Munchkins, this is the Asian-Martial Arts version, and just as funny. For those of you unfamiliar with the Munchkins universe, they are the most hysterical games of all time--Munchkins makes fun of fantasy/role playing games, Munchkin Fu the martial arts/ninjas and that kind of thing. I haven't played Star Munchkins or any of the other derivatives, but I imagine them to be just as good.

All in all, a well spent evening.

1 Additional Hiccups:

Unknown said...

I love asuka... For precisely the 15 dollar sushi gorging oppurtunities. We should go bisit sometime